Monday, March 1, 2010

Apparently you are NOT welcome


I let my membership lapse a little less than a year ago. With a husband still in school and only one income it was hard to justify the $50 membership expense or buying in bulk when we didn't have the extra $$ or storage space.

So, yes, it has been a while since I have been to Costco.

With my sister-in-law in town and her membership card in tow, we headed off to Costco this weekend, found some great purchases (love, love, love their fresh produce!) and headed to the register, where -- after my sister-in-law purchased her items -- I was told by the cashier that friends and family can no longer piggy-back membership usage, i.e. that payment for purchases cannot be made by anyone other than the member/cardholder.

My first thoughts: WHAT?! Really? Since when?

Although the cashier was "nice" about it (she DID allow me to make my purchases), she also could not hide dripping distain from her lips as she told us of their policy change, which apparently became effective as of February 1, 2010.

ANYONE ELSE HEARD OF THIS? I certainly hadn't, nor can I seem to find anything about it on the internet. And believe me, I have tried; using various combinations of search words I could not find ANY reference to this policy change.

Don't get me wrong. I completely understand the reasoning Costco would have behind it -- they make money off their memberships, and use of a friend's membership instead of getting your own means they make less money -- I just wish they could provide a little more notice of the change, so you don't feel like a schmuck for "not knowing."

2 comments:

Abbie said...

Hadn't heard but that is interesting. I am actually surprised they didn't do it earlier. But ya, I wish there was something I could find online. I would maybe write to the company and ask them if it's anywhere online. If it isn't you could suggest they make mention since there are lots of us who used to piggy back other members.

Janae @ Bring-Joy said...

I LOVE COSTCO! I can't live without my membership. I tried for about 6 months, but in the end, I realized we weren't actually saving any money. A membership is easy for me to justify, what with 5 people in our family + a vegan diet=need for LOTS of fruits and veggies (which you can't beat Costco's prices, especially on their organic stuff!).


I agree, they should have posted a sign or something. Kinda poor taste for a place as classy as Costco.