Monday, September 15, 2008

We've been INVADED!

Soooo... apparently the late summer/early fall period is uber-breeding time for fruit flies, which reproduce faster than rabbits! I did not know this. If I had, I would have nipped it in the bud early when I first noticed a few little flies around the kitchen last week.

I predict that the eggs hitched a ride on the bananas I bought last week... or the ones I bought the week before. Either way, apparently the eggs hatch into larva (yep... worms in my kitchen, ew...) and then into flies. This whole lovely process takes 10 days. Not a pleasant thought imagining this whole process taking place on or around my food. YUCK!

After reading on the internet, I created some traps, which I set last night. This is the collection I was able to gather within 24 hours. I am hoping is the majority of the flies, and that the few stragglers will join soon.




This trap was a bowl with apples, covered in plastic wrap, with small holes poked in it. The flies get attracted to the smell, climb through the holes, but can't get out again.




This trap is a bowl of cider vinegar, with a drop of dish soap. Apparently the soap breaks the "tension" of the surface of the liquid, so when the flies land on the top, they sink (and drown!!) instead of walk on top.



Can you believe HOW MANY there are?? This is only after noticing these pesky buggers last week. I always thought that the down side of leaving rotting food out was you might get ants. But apparently these are just as likely to appear.

So, warning to all my friends. Wash your fruit when you bring it into your home, and (when possible) store in the fridge, as the flies are extremely sensitive to the cold.

Again... yuk!!

3 comments:

donna said...

YUCKY!

I am going to clean my fruit NOW

Michelle Olson said...

My long comment just got erased! Long story short, I bought an awesome hair straightener. Reg. 255 dollars for 41 on ebay. brand new. my sis-in-law, the hair styler, says it's the "ferrari" of hair straighteners! It's a GHD. I got one for Kathy too. It's soooo amazing.

anyway, Have a great weekend!

Brandy said...

omg! Yuck! I have never seen fruit flies like that. }:p
I love the traps! You are so cute since I know you got on the internet asap to investigate what they were and how to kill them. Very clever. :)