Thursday, May 27, 2010

Delicious (and easy) are a must

I love to cook. (Not so much love the cleaning up, but then again, who does?) About this time last year I started getting more experimental with my cooking, being braver to substitute this or that in a recipe, and trying to use more diversity in my cooking (namely, add more fruits and vegatables and flavor). I was also not working at the time, so I was clipping coupons like a mad-woman and signing up for all kinds of freebies, including some I found through http://www.bettycrocker.com/. If you enjoy cooking - even if you are a novice - check out the site and sign yourself up!

Every couple weeks I get emails with cooking ideas, as well as coupon offers, and there are often contests to enter, as well as postings of the winning recipes (WITH PICTURES!).

My newest email arrived on Monday, and after perusing for a while, I found a couple of interesting recipes to try. So, last night, using left-over chicken from our dinner the night before (thank you Safeway rotisserie), I made

Simply put, they were AWESOME!! Anyone who loves peanut flavored Thai will love this meal. Even better, it was SUPER-EASY to make!

Plus, in total I would guess that this meal for 3 adults (I doubled recipe) cost roughly $10, as I had many of the ingredients on hand (e.g. peanut butter, brown sugar, cayenne pepper, Apple Cider Vinegar and Soy Sauce). The fresh ingredients were really inexpensive (cilantro, $.89; pre-cut/bagged coleslaw, $1.29; cucumber, $.99)... with the most expensive being the wraps, a whopping $3.09 for 6 large sun-dried tomato flavored. (FYI - I omitted the dry-roasted peanuts on purpose.)

As the weather heats up, my desire to "cook" will certainly decrease, and this non-cooked meal will definitely be at the top of my future mealplan lists!

1 comment:

Rachel said...

those look so yummy! I love easy and cheap!

oh and Kate, my little tom boy, is not a fan of barrettes. It was out of her hair before we left the house and I had to convince her to just wear it until after the dance festival...obviously that did not work. Her motivation to get her hair cut was no more ponytails. Nice, huh? :)However, she wears her Tinkerbell shirt Grandma Bagley bought her at Walmart every day, and Buzz and Woody jammies when she's not in that shirt...whether it's day or night. As soon as the clean laundry comes out, she is hunting for one or the other. Love that girl!