Sunday, February 8, 2009

My veggies


I took this photo after returning from the grocery store yesterday so I could post it on my blog for my cousin, Janae, who is challenging her blog readers to eat more healthy. (Aren't the colors pretty?!)

This photo is of the veggies I typically purchase from the grocer each week, especially the mushrooms, onion, and red pepper, which I can include in almost every meal I prepare. After meeting with a dietitian over the last several months to refine my eating habits and diet, one of the goals was to eat more veggies and to eat less saturated fat (red meat) and refined flour and sugar. However, I am also an EXTREME sodium-aholic, so to cut down on my sodium, I use more natural flavoring like onion and peppers to lessen my compulsion to salt my food after it is prepared.

This post is mostly for Janae, to help encourage her and her blog.
If you are interested in following her blog, it is at veganmothering.blogspot.com.
Onward!

8 comments:

Abbie said...

Way to go Melissa! You and Janae have inspired me. I am going to try to cook two meals this week with greens... it's going to be hard though. Yikes.

donna said...

Those veggies look so good.:)

Michelle Olson said...

Eating this way has changed my life also, Melissa. Reading a lot of the whole foods/vegan books has helped me with the knowledge to change my eating habits. I still love something sweet, and salty things every once in while (daily), but now I know how to make healthier alternatives.... you are sooooo open minded Melissa! I'm not used to that around here (except with my hubby of course). Loved the picture!

Michelle Olson said...

oh, and if you crowd your diet with all of the good veggies and grains, you can get away with the other stuff on occasion.!

AK-23 said...

Nice! I love the book skinny bitch, which talks all about that. im huge on organic foods- so meat, but with no hormones, fruit with no pesticides or hormones, etc. Good for you eating healthy!!

Tiffanie and Jeff Bodine said...

Woo hoo~! Go Melissa! Between you and Janae I'm vowing to eat better! Lately I've been zeroing in on the whole grains and beans. I do eat fresh produce quite a bit, but I need to eat more, and have more of a variety!

Janae @ Bring-Joy said...

Way to go Melissa!!!




keep it up and remember, baby steps... you go girl!

Mickell Schena said...

I found you. Melissa I have missed you guys.